Support the show and get double the episodes by subscribing to bonus episodes for $5/month at http://patreon.com/champagnesharks. Also, remember to review and rate the podcast in Itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champagne-sharks/id1242690393?mt=2.
We open up discussing recent developments with the Michael Slager case, then we go into the topic of blerds (Black Nerds) in response to a question from a listener about why I always go in on them.
Discussed in this episode:
- Recent Michael Slager developments http://www.postandcourier.com/news/as-michael-slager-sentencing-nears-demise-of-north-charleston-police/article_ca264d16-98b6-11e7-a700-f76ce6d98c30.html
- Tariq Nasheed discussing the character Finn and how bad his character was in Star Wars: The Force Awakens http://ytcropper.com/cropped/t259c21e849e373
- Twitter thread full of the type of black creator-owned comics full of black representation that your typical blerd will ignore: https://twitter.com/ChocCityComics/status/893929667257921536
- The terrible T-Dog vs. Merle scene from Walking Dead, which was actually worse than I remembered. As the black thug gets beaten up by the white supremacist, the Asian guy and swarthy guy are looking on ineffectually and afraid and white women and a black women are also cowering, so basically everyone, including white women and men and women of color are all cowering before the white male supremacist until the other white alpha male comes in to take him down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpN3xl1pO3Q
- Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films, Updated and Expanded 5th http://amzn.to/2wFJVnG
- “Humanity Not Included: DC’s Cyborg and the Mechanization of the Black Body” by sonofbaldwin https://themiddlespaces.com/2015/03/31/humanity-not-included/
- A thread about GothamGirlBlue’s weird Hillary Clinton monarchy fantasy tweet: https://twitter.com/Bluepurplerain/status/909369406072827904
- Luke Cage chasing down Dr. Doom for $200, “Where’s My Money, Honey?” http://www.cbr.com/i-love-ya-but-youre-strange-wheres-my-money-honey/
- Thread by writer Myles Johnson about how a type of blerds, the Blavity Blacks (named after a website they tend to write for, Blavity.com) exoticize hood black people like Cardi B. in problematic ways, not too differently from how white people eroticize ratchet people: https://twitter.com/hausmuva/status/895502317931438080
- A twitter thread doing exactly what Myles Johnson was bashing Blavity Blacks for doing with Cardi B. https://twitter.com/prezmomobologna/status/909061698191073280
- Harmontown fans reacting, largely negatively, to GothamGirlBlue’s appearance on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Harmontown/comments/6opl7a/episode_252_epeephany/
- Postmodern geekdom as simulated ethnicity https://www.ejumpcut.org/archive/jc54.2012/SolesKunyoGeedom/
- A video discussing a bunch of the problems with BBC’s Sherlock, including how he actually sucks at deduction as D. and I were trying to explain https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM