Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 13:25 — 18.4MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
This is a preview of a bonus premium episode. Support the show and get double the episodes by subscribing to bonus episodes for $5/month at patreon.com/champagnesharks. This will not only give you access to this current premium episode you’re previewing, but also all the back premium episodes you may have missed as well and all future bonus premium episodes. Also, remember to review and rate the podcast in Itunes: itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champ…d1242690393?mt=2.
To listen to this episode in full, head over to https://www.patreon.com/posts/cs-060-wakandan-16462390.
We discuss the obsession of Black nerds and Blavity Blacks with the upcoming Black Panther movie.
- The Champagne Sharks reddit:
- The Black Panther toy commercial and commentary around it https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/951942622796431360
- A thread I made on the proliferation of grassroots organizing and fundraising Black People have been doing regarding Black Panther https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/951230707845578753
- A story about the Black Hogwarts hashtag and all the Black nerds obsessing over imagining a black version https://blavity.com/black-twitter-imagined-a-blacker-harry-potter-universe-making-magic-with-blackhogwarts
- Y2Dre’s tweet about Harry Potter and representation-obsessed blerds that got the blerds pissed off: https://twitter.com/Y2Dre_/status/951988586542436352. More reactions to Dre’s tweet: https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitter.com%2FY2Dre_%2Fstatus%2F951988586542436352&src=typd
- An example of the entitlement Mike and I were discussing regarding blerds being included in white people’s creations: https://twitter.com/yungpharaoh1996/status/952629294286753798
- A story by the Today show where they discuss the Black Panther fundraiser for poor kids and actually got child development experts to weigh in to say how important it is to poor black kids’ development: https://www.today.com/parents/man-wants-send-kids-black-panther-great-reason-t121104
- The teacher who went viral for dancing with his black students https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm8edbBHUig
- “Today’s Word is…Performative” A blog post describing Blavity Blacks https://stanoffewwords.com/2017/08/14/todays-word-is-performative/
- A tweet that perfectly sums up how stupid the “We Are Not Our Ancestors” saying that Blavity Blacks like to say is so stupid https://twitter.com/NeezLouize/status/871354400698232832
- Books on the suppressed history of Black armed resistance and militancy.We Will Shoot Back: Armed Resistance in the Mississippi Freedom Movement by Akinyele Omowale Umoja http://amzn.to/2rm20K6; This Nonviolent Stuff’ll Get You Killed: How Guns Made the Civil Rights Movement Possible by Charles E. Cobb, Jr. http://amzn.to/2EThBCr; Negroes with Guns by Robert F. Williams http://amzn.to/2DItTyr; The Deacons for Defense: Armed Resistance and the Civil Rights Movement by Lance Hill http://amzn.to/2FOsV48; Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party by Joshua Bloom http://amzn.to/2DKqTld; Black Jacobins by C.L.R. James http://amzn.to/2FLc2Yh