This is a preview of a premium bonus episode. To get access to this episode subscribe for $5/month at patreon.com/champagnesharks. This will not only give you access to this current premium episode you’re previewing, but also all the back premium episodes you may have missed as well and all future bonus premium episodes.
This is an episode where we dropped so much game we decided to make it double length. We considered breaking it up into two parts but decided to keep it as it was. We discuss Bree Newsome, the woman who made a name for herself taking down the Confederate flag in South Carolina following Dylann Roof’s shooting, and how in a recent series of tweets she has changed her focus to Black male patriarchy now that she has a platform.
Discussed in this episode:
- The Slumflower clip where she went to the BBC to tell them how awful Black men are to Black women: https://twitter.com/BBCWomansHour/status/1004232866677579776
- The two Bree Newsome threads that we discuss: https://twitter.com/BreeNewsome/status/1004800085086097408; https://twitter.com/BreeNewsome/status/1005201819545595904
- My thread about Bree Newsome’s anti-Black male tweets: https://twitter.com/ChampagneSharks/status/1005188224497668097
- The statement article from Bree Newsome on why she and a White man were chosen to remove the flag: http://archives.bluenationreview.com/exclusive-bree-newsome-speaks-for-the-first-time-after-courageous-act-of-civil-disobedience/
- Examples of White people interjecting into Black arguments to trash Black men using Black feminist talking points https://twitter.com/TaraJeanne/status/1005127987430350848; https://twitter.com/abfabsabs/status/1005143552735698945;https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1005096544335482880
- The tweet where someone claims Black slave women created feminism: https://twitter.com/SydneyA/status/1005549283414814720
- The funny tweet we describe making fun of how some White men only care about Black women’s problems when the problem is Black men: https://twitter.com/Bibliobabble/status/980548182248652801
- List of supposed Black male privileges: https://twitter.com/Commandr_nchief/status/911222589598683137
- A paper by Valethia Watkins describing how modern intersectional feminists try to retroactively turn all Black women of historical note into intersectional feminists, “Contested Memories: A Critical Analysis of the Black Feminist Revisionist History Project” http://www.jpanafrican.org/docs/vol9no4/JuneJuly-17-Watkins.pdf