This is a preview of a bonus premium episode. Support the show and get double the episodes by subscribing to bonus episodes for $5/month at patreon.com/champagnesharks. Also, remember to review and rate the podcast in Itunes: itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champ…d1242690393?mt=2.
Today D. Mills (http://twitter.com/mdmills79) and Mike (http://twitter.com/blackexception1) join me to discuss a Black immigrant conservative’s response to Ta-Nehisi Coate’s book Between the World and Me that appeared on the website Commentary and go onto a tangent about the cafe Summerhill that was opened by a tone-deaf gentrifier in Crown Heights.
- The Commentary article decrying Ta-Nehisi Coates by Jamaican immigrant Jason D. Hill, “An Open Letter to Ta-Nehisi Coates” https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/open-letter-ta-nehisi-coates/
- Some background on Summerhill controversy: “Here’s That Press Release Summerhill Sent About Its Bullet Hole Wall, in Full” https://ny.eater.com/2017/7/24/16019934/summerhill-crown-heights-press-release-nyc
- The Summerhill owner’s debacle at the Community Board meeting, including the infamous face palms we describe: “Crown Heights Bar Owner Refuses To Remove ‘Bullet Hole’ Wall: ‘I’m Sorry I Have A Sense Of Humor'” http://gothamist.com/2017/08/25/summerhill_meeting_crown_heights.php
- An interview with Becca Brennan, owner of Summerhill, after the community board meeting, where she continues to be tone deaf: “https://theoutline.com/post/2197/a-conversation-with-brooklyn-s-most-controversial-restaurant-owner
- “Hello, Fellow Kids.” https://media.giphy.com/media/ifxLK48cnyDDi/giphy.gif
- Ta-Nehisi Coates addressing Black-on-Black Crime, “Black People Are Not Ignoring ‘Black on Black’ Crime” https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2014/08/black-people-are-not-ignoring-black-on-black-crime/378629/ and “The Myth of Black-on-Black Crime” https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/03/the-myth-of-black-on-black-crime/253829/
- Kamala Harris’s aunt saying that all of Kamala’s positive traits came from growing up immersed in Indian culture: “My Niece, the U.S. Senator” http://www.rediff.com/news/special/my-niece-the-us-senator/20161111.htm
- Other groups who have asked for and gotten reparations that Jason D. Hill conveniently ignores “Obama administration earmarks $12m for Holocaust survivors”: https://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-administration-earmarks-12m-for-holocaust-survivors/ and “U.S. Government To Pay $492 Million To 17 American Indian Tribes” https://www.timesofisrael.com/obama-administration-earmarks-12m-for-holocaust-survivors/
- Yvette Carnell on which people, including which black people, actually get Affirmative Action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvz2z9OhPyg