Check out killmongerwasright.com for the Team Killmonger t-shirts you can buy to support the show.
This is a preview of a two-part bonus premium episode, split across episodes 78 and 80. Support the show and get double the episodes by subscribing to bonus episodes for $5/month at patreon.com/champagnesharks. This will not only give you access to this current premium episode you’re previewing, but also all the back premium episodes you may have missed as well and all future bonus premium episodes. Also, remember to review and rate the podcast in Itunes: itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champ…d1242690393?mt=2. Also don’t forget to check out the Champagne Sharks reddit at http://reddit.com/r/champagnesharks and the Champagne Sharks Twitter account at http://twitter.com/champagnesharks.
This is part one of two-part episode. We discuss a recent Donald Glover interview, the ways in which “good white people” are adept at throwing racist shade in a very gaslighting, subtle way and how Blavity Blacks love and fetishize the token black person experience.
Mentioned in this episode:
- Music is “WW III” by Ruff Ryders
- The scene from “Don’t Be a Menace” we discuss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gP9GX2udI
- Donald Glover New Yorker Article by Tad Friend: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you
- The Jodie Landon Daria video in a Buzzfeed tweet: https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/968892505080016896
- “James Davis – Token Black Friend” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBaGQQKkt7I
- “Not Another Teen Movie – Token Black Guy” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWhhPWyWCv0
- “The Token Black Guy and His White Friend” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esc8gPYYIn8
- “Un-Token” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmNfR9B4-FU