Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:27:02 — 121.2MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
Remember to check out the “Killmonger Was Right” and other assorted Team Killmonger gear at http://killmongerwasright.com which also helps to support the show.
Support the show and get double the episodes by subscribing to bonus episodes for $5/month at patreon.com/champagnesharks. If you can’t subscribe right now for whatever reason, do the next best thing and tell as many people as you know about the show. Also, remember to review and rate the podcast in Itunes: itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champ…d1242690393?mt=2. You do not need an Apple product to rate and review the show, just click here to create the AppleID needed to rate and review: https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create. Also, check out the Champagne Sharks reddit at http://reddit.com/r/champagnesharks. Also check out Champagne Sharks on Twitter at http://twitter.com/champagnesharks.
Dr. Tommy Curry (http://www.twitter.com/DrTJC) rejoins us for a two-part episode to discuss recent findings about Black men in studies that have made the news from both the Equality of Opportunity Project (covered in the NY Times) and the Brookings Institute. We also offer Dr. Curry the opportunity to respond to criticisms about him and his work that we’ve heard over the past year.
Mentioned in the episode:
- The Brookings Institute’s study “The inheritance of black poverty: It’s all about the men” https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-inheritance-of-black-poverty-its-all-about-the-men/
- My tweet and thread showing the various ways Brookings tweeted the study before settling on the inflammatory clickbait tweet that finally got the attention: https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/978638533345849345
- Article by Huffington Post summarizing the Princeton study by David Pedulla, “Unmaking Black Gay Privilege”: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-fitzgerald-gates-phd/unmasking-black-gay-privilege_b_6978224.html. A response to the study, “Black gay privilege is a ridiculous notion” https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/apr/27/black-gay-privilege-is-a-ridiculous-notion. Princeton’s summary of the study: https://www.princeton.edu/news/2014/05/15/negative-stereotypes-can-cancel-each-other-out-resumes; Pedulla’s study in full https://www.princeton.edu/csso/working-papers/WP7-Pedulla.pdf
- The Root discussing Stephon Clark’s anti-Black Woman tweets: https://www.theroot.com/judge-of-characters-the-hatred-of-black-women-1824991606; Essence discussing the same tweets, “It’s Time To Talk About Stephon Clark’s Anti-Black Women Tweets: Do Victims Have To Be Perfect To Garner Our Empathy?” https://www.essence.com/culture/stephon-clark-black-women-tweets
- Neely Fuller – Black Leaders Cannot Protect Black Folks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_igLsyfR98
- The C.O.W.S. with Dr. Frank B. Wilderson Part II https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUQahPQIr70
- “Blacks Are So Homophobic? Preview” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-cXZctfB0
- Patrice O’neal High Quailty White Woman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYKJ2z7mecQ