Today we discuss the new upcoming play “Slave Play” and try to place it into the larger context of white liberals and the black creators they enlist to provide them with trauma porn.
DIscussed in this episode:
- Our previous premium episode that we refer to often in this episode and gives more context, “CS 137: Race Play, Racialized BDSM (Prologue to Slave Play discussion) (12/13/2018)” https://www.patreon.com/posts/cs-137-race-play-23451541
- Interview with Jeremy O. Harris https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJoWH736PnE&t=1077s
- NYTW describes the art that inspired “Slave Play.” Note how often Kara Walker pops up. Part 1: Art that inspired Slave Play: http://briefnytw.tumblr.com/post/179554655972/beyond-the-page-art-that-inspired-slave-play; Part 2: http://briefnytw.tumblr.com/post/179554718812/beyond-the-page-art-that-inspired-slave-play
- The black woman who attended “Slave Play” and struck back against people trying to lecture her about why she should enjoy it: https://twitter.com/smashley_iona/status/1074540015730991110?s=21
- Blavity Blacks and their obsession with slavery porn, from Insecure to Scandal to Dear White People https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1074714024519053312
- UN’s report on the terrible state of Black people in the US South including hookworm, “UN shocked by level of poverty in Alabama: ‘We haven’t seen this in the first world'” https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/alabama-black-belt-un-poverty-expert-extreme-developed-country-sewage-crisis-roy-moore-philip-alston-a8105886.html
- A Twitter thread showing my research into Kara Walker https://twitter.com/RickyRawls/status/1075163687621668866
- Articles about Kara Walker, (1) http://karawalkerexposed.blogspot.com/2007/10/i-recently-posted-some-quotes-by-other.html; (2) https://abagond.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/kara-walker/; (3) “Hype and Hypersexuality: Kara Walker, Her Work and Controversy” https://fac.umass.edu/ArticleMedia/Files/HypeandHypersexuality.pdf
- Reviews of “Slave Play” and profiles of Jeremy O. Harris (1) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/09/theater/slave-play-review-jeremy-o-harris.html; (2) https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/28/theater/jeremy-o-harris-slave-play.html; (3) https://www.out.com/out-exclusives/2018/11/08/meet-jeremy-oharris-queer-black-savior-theater-world-needs
- The Black woman (retweeted byt Jeremy O. Harris) who made a thread demanding white ticket holders give their place to black theatergoers since this play is “for them” https://twitter.com/peacheslechat/status/1073365539014279168
Intro song: “Stop Shammin'” by Big Daddy Kane. You can find playlist of songs used in episodes on Spotify at https://open.spotify.com/user/tbilzie/playlist/5emXF3iqhZLU6IuszSRvun?si=xpTnnAbSSVKv3jTXg86XCg.
Co-produced & edited by Aaron C. Schroeder / Pierced Ears Recording Co, Seattle WA (email@example.com)