Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:16:11 — 106.2MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
This free episode debuted first to Patreon subscribers for 24-48 hours before being unlocked and made free to everyone on the main podcast feed. This will be the norm for all free episodes going forward. To become a Patreon subscriber for $5/month and get early access to this episode and over 50 archived past subscriber-only episodes, go to http://patreon.com/champagnesharks.
In Part 1 of a 5-part series, D. Mills discusses with guest Malika Bee how the educational system affects Black students and families specifcially, but families in general.
- Hairspray 1988 Special Ed scene https://youtu.be/Wo0pcXqIBjk
- Articles about the controversy regarding black children being funneled into special education: (1) https://www.brookings.edu/research/race-poverty-and-interpreting-overrepresentation-in-special-education/; and (2) https://www.racialjusticeproject.com/black-youth-in-the-special-education-system-overrepresented-or-underrepresented/
- “African-American Students with Disabilities Suspended at Disproportionately High Rates” https://edsource.org/2018/african-american-students-with-disabilities-suspended-at-disproportionately-high-rates/597052
- Standardized Testing discrimination http://parentsacrossamerica.org/civil-rights-discrimination-standardized-testing/
- Information on the Individuals with disabilities education act (IDEA) https://sites.ed.gov/idea/
- IDEA offer of FAPE – http://www.pause4kids.com/training/three/Written_Offer_of_FAPE.pdf: “The “Written Offerof a Free and Appropriate Public Education” (FAPE) is a formal offermade by the local education agency (LEA) of educational placement, including supplemental aids and services. It meets the requirements outlined in IDEA for “written prior notice.”
- Difference between a section 504 plan vs an IEP Individualized education plan http://schoolpsychologistfiles.com/which-is-better-a-504-plan-or-an-iep/
- Links to a wide array of resources including regulations, codes, laws etc… The California site also contains links to national resources: (1) California https://www.cde.ca.gov/sp/se/sr/selinks.asp; and (2) New York http://www.p12.nysed.gov/specialed/quality/parents.htm