Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:07:44 — 82.1MB) | Embed
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | TuneIn | RSS | More
Remember to check out the “Killmonger Was Right” and other assorted Team Killmonger gear at http://killmongerwasright.com which also helps to support the show.
Support the show and get double the episodes by subscribing to bonus episodes for $5/month at patreon.com/champagnesharks. If you can’t subscribe right now for whatever reason, do the next best thing and tell as many people as you know about the show. Also, remember to review and rate the podcast in Itunes: itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/champ…d1242690393?mt=2. You do not need an Apple product to rate and review the show, just click here to create the AppleID needed to rate and review: https://appleid.apple.com/account#!&page=create. Also, check out the Champagne Sharks reddit at http://reddit.com/r/champagnesharks. Also check out Champagne Sharks on Twitter at http://twitter.com/champagnesharks.
Dr. Tommy Curry (http://www.twitter.com/DrTJC) rejoins us for a two-part episode to discuss recent findings about Black men in studies that have made the news from both the Equality of Opportunity Project (covered in the NY Times) and the Brookings Institute. We also offer Dr. Curry the opportunity to respond to criticisms about him and his work that we’ve heard over the past year.
Mentioned in the episode:
- “Killing Boogeymen: Phallicism and the Misandric Mischaracterizations of Black Males in Theory” by Tommy J. Curry http://lawschoolmoodle.org/racism.org/images/pdf/Killing-Boogeymen.pdf
- “Gender and Race Discrimination: The Interactive Nature of Disadvantage” by Jim Sidanius http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.452.6288&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- “Racial Politics Complicated: The Work of Gendered Race Cues in American Politics” by Corrine M. McConnaughy and Ismail K. Whit https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/6391/925becfa1e1f0a76f331ba0e52d3ab51b0e3.pdf
- The NY Times article summarizing the Raj Chetty study: “Extensive Data Shows Punishing Reach of Racism for Black Boys” by Emily Badger, Claire Cain Miller, Adam Pearce and Kevin Quealy https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/03/19/upshot/race-class-white-and-black-men.html
- Chetty study non-technical summary: http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_summary.pdf and the full paper: http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/race_paper.pdf
- The Brookings Institute’s study “The inheritance of black poverty: It’s all about the men” https://www.brookings.edu/research/the-inheritance-of-black-poverty-its-all-about-the-men/
- “Thank a Black Feminist” by Kimberly Foster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdjpY9gm_GA
- “Can Black Patriarchy Exist Without Black Power?” by Yvette Carnell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPBqAqQEKg8
- “No Black Male is the Head of Anything” by Neely Fuller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1Rh9tPO9ek
- “We Black Folks Are Still Boys and Girls” by Neely Fuller https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0vXnhmJhKI